Thursday, June 12, 2008

Stave Deccabon Drum

For Newfound Challenge I decided to do my project on drums. I decided to make drums because I am a drummer and making drums is very fun and challenging as well. The teacher taught me how to make a certain type of drum called a “stave” drum. A Stave drum is a drum that has shaved down sides so they are at an angle. It has 16 boards(all shaved down) and they all connect and make a perfect circle for a drum. It is called a Stave Deccabon because a Deccabon is a drum that is about 24 inches deep and 8 inches around. Give or take a couple inches in depth or width, you can make it however you want I just decided to make my drum 24 inches deep by 8 inches wide.
To make the drum this is what you do. First, once you have shaved down the sides at an angle of the 16 boards you take any kind of strong tape and tape the boards. You take all the boards and lay them flat on the ground. Then you tape the boards together and lift up the boards and bend them and they will all be connected by the tape. Once you do that, You take wood glue and fill in the cracks (that will be there because the boards aren't connected). Once all of the cracks are filled in with wood glue you take a rope and tie it around the drum to create pressure. After you do that step you wait for the wood to dry. Once it is completely dry you take off the tape and the tie and shave down the sides with a plane to make the drum rounded. Once it is pretty close to a good circle you can take sandpaper and sand it down to make it a nice smooth circular drum.
Once all of those steps are finished you have yourself a nice drum for playing. Once you put the drum head on the top you have to make a stress hole about a quarter inch in diameter. That has to be on the drum somewhere in the middle so when you hit the drum the air has somewhere to go. If there was no hole then the drum would eventually crack because of all the pressure! Those are the simple steps you will need to make a stave drum. Hopefully after reading this you will have the knowledge to know how to make a drum and the ability to make a drum.
For me, this project was challenging because I have never made this type of drum before. It is a very big challenge to me, making this type of drum takes a lot of precision and hard work and patience. The one problem I had with it was when we made the drum we had to glue it very quickly before it dried and unfortunately we did not do it fast enough. We solved the problem by making a completely new drum and using the one we messed up on for practice. Ryan McMahon was a big help as well because he showed me the basics of making it so I could complete it properly. Him and I worked together really well on shaving the drum and shaping it into a perfect circle. Without Ryan, I could not have made the drum as well as I did.

No comments: